Game Idea Research

 Bow: To No one


After presenting my 4 game ideas last week, I decided to go for the bow game as it seems fun to make and more of an idea I leaned towards than the other 3. As I said in my previous post, the game is a level based game where the more you complete the levels, the harder the levels get. There will also be a system in where you can upgrade the bow or you can buy a new and stronger one all together which will give the player a sense of progression and the urge to play more to unlock the new bows.

So for the 3 mechanics for the game, I decided to keep it simple as it is a pretty simple game design-wise. For the first game mechanic, it's drawing the bow. So when you start playing the first level, you learn about drawing the bow and firing. The longer you draw your bow, the faster the shot travels with not much of an arc and the shorter you draw, the slower and the more of an arc the bow will have. At the start of the game, the user won't have to utilize this mechanic to their advantage too much so that they are eased into the game. But the further go into the game, the more this mechanic shines.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/monsterhunter/images/d/d4/2ndGen-Bow_Render_027.png/revision/latest?cb=20120512093908


Another game mechanic I plan on adding is wind. Although I think it will be a little bit difficult to add, if I pull it off it would be a pretty big and critical addition to the game that would make it that much interesting to the player. So similarly to the first mechanic, this one will start off minimally as the player starts and will progressively become more of an obstacle to the player as the game goes on. It will require the player to make some calculated shots which will add more to the fun experience.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/content/gallery/metofficegovuk/hero-images/weather/wind/dandelion-clock-blowing-in-the-wind-photo-dawid-zawila.jpg/dandelion-clock-blowing-in-the-wind-photo-dawid-zawila.jpg/metofficegovuk%3AheroXXLarge


The last game mechanic that I plan to add to the game are the different types of arrows. So normally, the player has a set amount of arrows given to them to try and hit the required target, with obstacles in their way sometimes making it a bit difficult to hit them. To make the game a bit more interesting, I decided to add different types of arrows that the player will unlock as they progress and also be able to buy in the in-game store. For now, I have 3 arrow ideas in my mind right now: Rubber arrows(which bounce off surfaces so it is up to the player to make them count), Fire Arrow(which are used to burn down certain obstacles that's in the player's way) and cluster arrows(a set of 5 arrows in one shot which makes it more of a spray and spray)

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/wiki/images/c/c5/Fire_%26_Ice_Arrows_%28TWW%29.png



I used this article to look into what a game mechanic actually is and how to apply it to the game that I am currently making.

Comments

  1. Hey Justin, Love this idea. It seems like you put a-lot of thought into it and it shows. It's a really nice concept. I used to love archery when I was younger. Cant wait to see how you progress with it! Best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Justin, your game sounds really interesting and sounds like it could be a really good game. I think what you were saying about the wind could be a really cool feature it will be difficult to add but if you could make it, it would be amazing. What you said about upgrading your bow also sounds really cool but I was wondering how exactly do you upgrade your bow will it be from completing levels, gaining xp or collecting coins of some sort? I was thinking for you maybe it would be easier to give the player a new bow when they complete a certain amount of levels as it would require less time than setting up an in game store were a player can purchase a new bow from xp or coins just an idea for you:). I think this game seems really interesting and a lot of thought went into it and it has some great potential!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heya Justin
    I really enjoyed reading your blog. This game idea is definitely one of my favourites. It’s very different from the other ones I read. I am jealous how you thought of this idea. It’s clear that you really thought it out very well. I like how if you don't draw the bow well it doesn't just go a short distance. It also gives a big arc to the direction. This will make the game more challenging and cause the player to continuously try and do a better draw of the bow. One thing about different arrows sounds a bit difficult. Maybe if you encounter an error with that you could just make the damage greater for the same arrow, the higher the player reaches in the game.
    - Cian

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introductiones

Understanding Game Design

Alpha